© 2018 Claire Fadden. All rights reserved.
Sign up for sneak peeks, contests and be first to know upcoming release dates.
Monica Morgan finally lands the job she covets—stay-at-home mom to her four sons. Her joy is short-lived, however, when a casual comment leads to the discovery of her husband’s infidelity. The news sends her reeling, grasping for understanding and makes her skeptical of everything she once thought she knew. While she struggles with the deceit and questions her faith, her youngest child receives a devastating diagnosis, plunging her into deeper despair.
Unsure of how to move forward, Monica must
re-evaluate her options and determine what truly matters most. But will her decision ultimately destroy her family or will it make them whole again?
Share your book club's discussion questions with Claire.
Did your book club select one of Claire's novels? Invite her to join your meeting.
Email to arrange a Skype or FaceTime date and
receive free goodies to giveaway to your members.
1) Monica Morgan trades in her career to be a stay-at-home mother. How did that choice make her more vulnerable?
2) Monica blames herself for Bodie’s illness. Have you ever blamed yourself for something that went wrong, even though you realize it wasn’t your fault?
3) Monica briefly entertains the idea of getting pregnant in the hopes of producing a match for Bodie. Discuss the ethical and – conflicts of this. Would you consider having a child to save another?
4) With all the deceit Brad has manufactured covering up his affair and his daughter, did you believe this marriage could be saved?
5) Brad finds himself in a difficult situation, one he had a hand in creating. Did you feel sympathy for him? How could he have handled things better?
6) Cathy asserts her rights as a grandparent. Was she right or wrong to do this?
7) Once Monica meets Bella she can’t forget the little girl. She is haunted by the unfairness of the situation. Should she accept the motherless child into her family?
8) No matter the circumstances that brought Bella into her life, Monica knows Bella is her sons’ sister.
Do you believe Monica ever accepts Bella into her heart, as her own daughter?
Some questions contain spoilers.
1) Kate Wiley embraces her role as a new mother, at the surrender of all else in her life, including a promising career as an architect. Is that a wise decision? Would you do the same?
2) Shortly after their son is born, Eric leaves on business. Kate decides her marriage is in trouble and that Eric is planning to desert her the way her father had left her mother. Are her fears rational? Is she creating a self-fulfilling prophecy? Have you ever set yourself up for failure?
3) Eric keeps many secrets from Kate. The most important one may be that he was adopted by his parents best friends after their murder. Discuss the reasons why Eric doesn’t open up about his past to Kate until it’s almost too late.
4) Discovering the panic room only confirms Kate's worst fears -- she’s living an artificial life. Everything she believed in is not real, including her husband. Did you think this marriage could be saved? Would you have waited for an explanation, or would you have left?
5) Family provides balance, security and unconditional love. In Eric’s case, Adele and Ben, his adoptive parents, caused his grief and sorrow. How would you cope if a close family member had betrayed you?
6) As the saying goes, everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about. This is true for those closest to Kate. Even though her life is in chaos, she still manages to be supportive to her sisters, Julie and Monica, as well as her best friend, Colleen. Reflect on a time in your life when everything seemed to be falling apart, yet you dug deep to be there for a friend or family member.
Kate Jameson married the man of her dreams. Her real-life hero. A man who wouldn’t abandon her the way her father had—or so she thought. Weeks after their son’s birth, her husband is suddenly pulled away for a business trip that takes him out of the country. But something isn’t right. His truths aren’t adding up. Kate digs into his past, determined to learn what he’s hiding. But unraveling this endless mystery draws her into a maze of lies, family secrets and deadly consequences.
For twenty years, undercover CIA agent Eric Wiley lived for one reason—to avenge his parents’ brutal deaths. Until he marries Kate. Eric promises her a life of love and commitment, but competing promises constantly collide, offering him little chance of keeping either. When an informant lures him to Mexico, Eric thinks his goal of apprehending an elusive killer will be realized. Leaving his family for a few short days, weeks at the most, would be worth the prize.
Can this final mission bring closure and allow Eric to be the husband Kate deserves and the father he yearns to be? Or will their destiny remain mired in the secrets of his past, leaving them powerless to embrace their present?